The detective is the protagonist of the game. The default Male name is Ray Spade, while the default female name is Agatha Beckett.
How did it all start? Well, if you ask me, it was the new law to ban sweet food and drinks. The Sugar Prohibition changed this city. Sure, public health is better, but public safety? Not so much. When using sugar became a crime, suddenly the city turned out to be full of crooks. The police work overtime fighting big criminals, and common people with their common problems have only one option left--call a private detective.
| Spoiler warning!|
This article contains plot details about an upcoming episode.
In chapter 4, a hired assassin comes to the city, claiming the life of one of the candidates for mayor. The detective also meets a mafia leader. Later, the detective finds out that the hired assassin was still in town, and the detective tries to stop him, getting arrested because the police thinks that they are the assassin. In the end, the client of the assassin turned out to be one of the candidates for mayor.
In chapter 5, the detective investigates what at first looked like an involuntary manslaughter. The detective first suspects Tony Malone, but then they find out that it was the mayor who did it, and that he was willing to kill anyone who interfered with his illegal business. The detective gathers evidence to finally confront Covet. After that, they get engaged with their love partner.
- Ray Spade could be a reference to Sam Spade, the protagonist of Dashiell Hammett's novel, The Maltese Falcon, and Raymond Chandler, creator of Philip Marlowe, who was largely based on Sam Spade.
- Agatha Beckett could be a reference to Agatha Christie, a famous female mystery author, and Kate Beckett, one of the main protagonist of ABC's crime series Castle.
- When playing as the male character, Lucy Gordon will be his love interest.
- When playing as the female character, Leonardo McLean will be her love interest.
- According to a book found in Friendly Faces, the detective is from the town where Puzzle Craft, another game by Chillingo, takes place.